Sunday, May 15, 2011

TIMBEEEER



I planted a whole bushel of seeds in the bed near this tree. I got down on my hands and knees and meticulously covered each seed with but a half a centimetre of soil, and I've been watering with care. Nothing. I did this on the 1st May. sixteen days later, the best i can see is my snowpeas are starting to germinate, but thats because moist seeds which have come to the surface are starting to break. And another line of dicots are coming through in a bunched heap. Though i dont know what they are. Im going to have to thin them out. I hate thinning things out. it seems so wasteful.
However! The rest of the bed (and were talking 90% of the bed here) is completely baron. Not even weeds will show up. This is a high order oddity that I cannot crack. The only thing I can figure out is that the winter sun is not shining on the bed directly for long enough. There are three huge eucalyptus trees around the vege patch. One is dab smack in the middle of the vege patch, another, just as old and just as large sits outside the vege patch and the one in the photo sits inside the fruiting orchard, bordering the vege patch.
So I came to the conclusion that my plants are not receiving enough winter light. I ringbarked the tree you see in the photo. No umming and aaahing or aaawwwing, It's done now. i took an axe and hacked away at the perimetre until there was no cambium left. I will slowly witness the leaves drop off.
Eventually, I'm going to have to call someone to help dismantle the young tree, as it has been growing there for the last 10 years and is already taller than any of the fruiting trees. Cutting it straight down is going to cause damage either to the newly erected fence, the newly constructed vegetable patch bed or the 7 year old fruiting trees.
Therefore, someone is going to have to come and do it piece by piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment