Monday, May 9, 2011

If you build it... he will cucumber.




I am partial with putting things into neat packages. This last summer, I let my produce roam free and uninhibited. The rocket was sown liberally across a patch of dirt; cast higgledy piggledy, come what may. The cucumbers and tomatoes were given their own private fiefs in a seemingly arbitrary placement. And of course, the pumpkin threatened to put an end to all of it.

Looking at the photos, you can see how wild the garden was, compared to how orderly I am in the process of making it. This is good right? No fail here. Hold...

The problem was found with the trenching. I dug trenches that would invariably form the borders of the raised beds. The problem was that when i backfilled the raised beds, I had now put on top, a hard, dusty and rock solid clay base that, when wet, was eligible for pottery casting.

So now my beds which at one point had rich and friable soil now has a thin layer of mud, which, if I dont do something about it, will soon invite the moss; which is already encroaching from the neighbouring crop. (Another entry perhaps)

So have I messed up? Well, yes. But Im pretty convinced that I can restore the quality of the soil (fingers crossed on the coffee ground). By the way, an update of the coffee story. Good news, I watched a youtube clip, which I should probably include in this entry as an addendum to last week.

Meanwhile, here are some photos of my new orderly beds that are coming together. There should be nine beds in all. In future, Im going to plant my pumpkins in an open field where they will have the freedom to spread their legs and not bother my raised beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment