Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Moss Episode





This garden is inundated with moss. It was originally the orchard that is adjacent to the beds, now it is encroaching slowly. The primary suspect is poor soil drainage. The water is not seeping into the ground quick enough. I am considering getting some clay breaker solution and putting it into my soil. There are particular spots in the vege patch that I predict wont thrive, due to it being located in the same position where moss thrives. Not only will it have to compete with the moss itself, but the conditions which make the moss thrive also wreck havoc on the vegetables planted there. Rock solid soil, an intricate network of tree roots, poor soil drainage, clay and finally, not enough Sun.
I say not enough Sun, but it's not much Sun. I can make it work. I hope I can, at least.
My thoughts are kept positive by the lime which will break up the soil, make it more pH neutral and will put a bit more oxygen into the soil, making it more friable. I think once the profile of the soil improves, the microclimate will support vegetables. Though I'm wondering if I should physically remove the moss, or whether it will just retract in time. I have the right mind to take the top layer away for composting so that we start with a fresh slate. The deciduous trees provide ample ground cover that kills the moss dead; depriving it of the light. They only thrive where the soil emerges above the dead leafy canopy.
The moss on the photos are from the crossover onto my vege patch. Maybe i could remove that manually and then observe the soil and the moss once the lime is injected. I want to learn more about mosses effect on other plant life. Ive got to learn to do my research on certain things before deciding to do the blog thing. FIAL!
I'm experiencing winter more consciously this time around. Im learning what you can grow and what you can't. I'm learning about the proper times to plant and not. Im learning what effect the weakness of the Sun, it's tilt and the heat that it fails to emit in these mid months. Im learning how I dont need to water the garden as much. Im learning how effective weed management needs to be in hotter months, and how weeding is not a really big problem for me in Autumn/Winter because they fail to grow at an unmanageable speed.
Then again, maybe I should just give up and become a moss farmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment